Xtreme Gaming Network

Turn 1 and 2 penalties

Author Topic: Turn 1 and 2 penalties  (Read 7851 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Turn 1 and 2 penalties
« on: August 28, 2014, 04:08:51 PM »
In an effort to clean up turn 1 incidents a bit, and taking people's thoughts into consideration, I'll put the following in place for next season:

• If you hit someone carelessly in turns 1 or 2 at the start of a race and it pushes them off the track or spins them, you'll get a 4 point penalty, and the person you hit will get a 4 point bonus. You still have to redress any gained positions.
  • If you get two turn 1/2 penalties in a season, you'll have to skip the first qualifying session of the next round and start the race from the back of the grid.
  • No other penalties will apply. The usual respect for other drivers and redressing unfairly gained positions will be expected as always.

What does "hit someone carelessly" mean?

It means you've braked too late, losing effective control of your car, and hit someone from behind. It can also mean you've dived into a gap that's closing up beside another car aka a divebomb. Turn 1 is especially not the place for a move like that. It does not mean hitting someone because of a warping car, and it does not mean losing sight of someone who's beside you and hitting the side of their car, knowing that side to side visibility is often poor in sim racing.

Some guidelines for turn 1
  • Shift your braking marker. The further back you are in the pack, the slower the cars will be going in front of you in turn 1 and bunching up well before the corner apex, so shift your braking point further back from the corner accordingly. You cannot brake at 50m if that's where you usually brake.
  • If you are side by side with another car in the turn, or even if you think there's a car beside you, stay on your side of the track. I.e. leave racing room. Don't close up the gap to the other side of the track. Both cars will come through safely, and the faster car will get in front.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
Re: Turn 1 and 2 penalties
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 09:21:36 PM »
My tips:

* Double the distance of the length of the number of cars in front of you to your usual brake marker.  So 5 cars means braking roughly 60 metres earlier.

* You can break earlier but not as hard with the same effect on speed but you can modulate your braking more in case you need to pull up earlier than expected.

* Hold your line into and through a corner.  When you think about it most accidents occur when people are changing direction. If everyone holds their inside or outside line there shouldn't be any issues.  Always assume someone is beside you.

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 08:16:52 AM »
My tips:

* Double the distance of the length of the number of cars in front of you to your usual brake marker.  So 5 cars means braking roughly 60 metres earlier.

* You can break earlier but not as hard with the same effect on speed but you can modulate your braking more in case you need to pull up earlier than expected.

* Hold your line into and through a corner.  When you think about it most accidents occur when people are changing direction. If everyone holds their inside or outside line there shouldn't be any issues.  Always assume someone is beside you.
Yay! Any time I have made a higher than normal grid possie or made a great start the adove doesn't happen around me and Wham!
easy said easy to apply. I like it.
PS this doesn't/hasn't happened in the Tuesday's but it happened often on Wednesday rFactor races.

tapatalk on an °[●●]°
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 08:21:18 AM by Lemmy Caution »
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 11:03:26 PM »
Here's an example from Blackwood, where I was at fault because I didn't keep to "my side" of the track. Turn 1/2 is too early to take the racing line. You can see where I move from the right of the track to the left, hitting the apex, but in the move, hitting Peter Reid's white BMW. I should have stayed on the right side of the track, on lap 1 only. After that, I'm entitled to take the racing line.

[youtube]nAMCQTwU9lY[/youtube]
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 09:51:37 AM »
Magnanimous of you Peter correcting Wally's wayward car after the incident.  ;D
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Peter Reid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 07:54:51 PM »
So close to pulling off a great recovery there Wally, sorry to see you received a secondary blow trying to come back up to speed. Contact obviously best avoided, but luckily we all got thru with out too many dramas after the initial coming together. That inside tyre barrier came awfully close too and would of sent the 1M flying back onto the road into the pack hit from the angle! T

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 10:00:44 AM »
Funny how I dont think there has been a t1 or 2 incident on tuesday race nite since this thread. Been a few on t3 though.  ;D

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 11:00:11 AM »
Yeah, I've still been looking at the T1's and 2's. They've been really good. I think if people make an effort to stay on their side of the track and not cut across to the apex, for example, it cuts out a lot of accidents.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal