Xtreme Gaming Network

Poll: Disable collisions or take warp damage?

Poll

Which would you prefer?

Disable collisions on the server, so a warp doesn't wreck your race
1 (10%)
Keep collisions enabled, and take your chances with warps
9 (90%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Poll: Disable collisions or take warp damage?  (Read 15448 times)

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
Re: Poll: Disable collisions or take warp damage?
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2015, 07:36:13 AM »
Minorating must be accessing some files that the server needs exclusive access to ? Otherwise how could it lock up the server like that. Did you also warp at the same time?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2015, 07:37:54 AM »
When I first heard about the server plugin concept, I thought it could put some extra load on weaker servers that they could do without. It might be unfounded, but a plugin has to do all this extra work, for each player, centralised in one place. At least player-side apps spread any work to everyone's PCs, for just that one player.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2015, 09:34:12 AM »
Minorating must be accessing some files that the server needs exclusive access to ? Otherwise how could it lock up the server like that. Did you also warp at the same time?

It's a known issue.  Has happened ever since MR was introduced, although some warps are worse than others.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2015, 10:22:43 AM »
Makes sense, earlier in the night Phil and Mael warped into each other 2 races in a row.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
Poll: Disable collisions or take warp damage?
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2015, 11:58:21 AM »
When I first heard about the server plugin concept, I thought it could put some extra load on weaker servers that they could do without. It might be unfounded, but a plugin has to do all this extra work, for each player, centralised in one place. At least player-side apps spread any work to everyone's PCs, for just that one player.
Agree with what you say but this situation seems to me to be a temporary freeze of the server. That indicates either a resource lockout between minorating.exe(?) and acserver.exe. or the plug-in interface code is locking out the rest of the server processing temporarily - ie a bit of single-threaded code where it shouldn't be. Dare I mention 'software bug'?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 12:00:05 PM by Gratulin »

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2015, 12:05:43 PM »
Unsure if it's related but I had a few screen freeze ups on Marty's server last night which isn't normal for me. I usually get one freeze up a minute or two after getting into a server then it's all good.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal