Xtreme Gaming Network

Surround sound in Assetto Corsa

Author Topic: Surround sound in Assetto Corsa  (Read 23626 times)

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« on: August 10, 2014, 10:55:00 PM »
Hi, I had a look and I couldn't find a topic on AC audio so hope it is ok to start a new topic.

A week or so ago I stumbled across a cheap way to setup surround sound for my driving rig. I had dismissed the need for surround sound and had read somewhere that the support wasn't that great (or missing) in AC. Anyway, I had my PC speakers plugged into my sound card using the normal "green" 3.5mm speaker port and was happy enough with the sound I was getting.

However, during a cleanup I found an old mini stereo system that had an audio input. So I wondered if it could be connected to my PC to provide some rear speakers. My PC motherboard had additional surround audio ports - the usual 5.1 outputs - that would require a new 5.1 speaker system. I also discovered a 3.5mm audio output port labelled "surround speakers". When I plugged my mini stereo into this port Windows showed the option for selecting "quadrophonic" audio output. Testing showed that the four speakers did indeed work as a quadrophonic audio setup.

When I launched Assetto Corsa with this setup I immediately got surround sound. The improvement in immersion was dramatic. I could hear cars coming up behind me, could tell if they were to the left or right of me and could hear their engine notes indicating whether they were accelerating or lifting. In addition, and this was where it has the most benefit for me, I can now hear each individual tire! I can hear the specific tire squeal as it breaks traction and can clearly understand the effect of steering input, throttle and brakes on the tires and hence the handling of the car.

So, if you have an old set of powered speakers or mini stereo lying around they might be suitable as a set of rear speakers for your driving rig.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Surround sound in Assetto Corsa
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 10:25:28 PM »
I got a Logitech Z506 setup, and was reading that 5.1 surround still isn't right in AC. It almost works, but doesn't really sound quite right. The rear speaker sounds are too quiet, I think, and the sounds of the other cars aren't really directional enough. Everything's set up right in Windows, everything else sounds awesome, but surround sound in AC still a work in progress. It will probably change completely when they release their FMOD changes.

But yes, I can hear the four tyres squealing.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 12:24:35 AM »
The tires are the most important to hear :)

Can the rear speakers be mounted on the wall and/or on stands? When I looked at them in the shop there didn't appear to be any mount points on the rear speakers

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 07:59:55 AM »
The tires are the most important to hear :)

Can the rear speakers be mounted on the wall and/or on stands? When I looked at them in the shop there didn't appear to be any mount points on the rear speakers
No, there's no mounting points.  I have them on the floor behind me, with the cables under a rug for now.

When you stop your car, you can definitely hear the other cars moving right around you, but your own engine pretty much drowns everything else out while you're driving. It seems like the balance is wrong.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 09:21:19 AM »
EDIT: I think you may need to adjust your levels in Windows.

1. Go to Sound Control Panel
2. Select "Playback" tab and select your default Speakers playback device from the list. (should have Green tick)
3. Select "Configure"
4. Make sure "5.1 Surround" selected as Audio channels.
5. Test levels of each speaker by clicking on each speaker icon. If not correct then continue.
6. Select "Next" and make sure "Full-range speakers" are not selected. (in my case I have selected them since i don't have a sub)
7. Go back to "Playback" tab and select "Properties".
8. In "Speaker Properties" select "Levels" tab. You should see volume controls for Side, Center, Subwoofer, Rear, Front. These should be set to 100 already.
9. Your rear speakers will either be controlled by "Rear" or "Side" volume control. Mine is "Side"
10. If you rear volume is too low but everything is already at 100 you need to reduce the volume of "Front" and "Center" speakers.
11. Go back to the "Configure" panel in Step 3 to test the volume levels until you get it correct.

Assetto Corsa should now be balanced correctly. You may need to adjust the relative sound levels in AC Launcher if your own engine is now too loud. For example I reduced Wind noise level for the Formula Abarth since it was really annoying in the rear speakers.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 10:32:26 AM by Gratulin »

Offline Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 11:14:05 AM »
Good to hear you've improved on your sound.

EAX and a good set of headphones are also very very good, it's just a shame EAX support isn't what it used to be but don't be fooled into thinking you can't achieve true and proper surround sound with two speakers.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 12:34:23 PM »
I've essentially done all that. Don't forget, outside of AC, the surround sound works brilliantly. On the AC forum, they admit that 5.1 surround is still broken. We'll have to wait for the fmod  update.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 01:05:48 PM »
Glad I stuck with my "quadrophonic" setup then...that works great.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 02:00:01 PM »
I imagine even that will work better soon(ish).

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 02:13:49 PM »
Really don't mean to be 'that guy' But I thought 5.1 died in the late 80s? let alone quadrophonic?? you are missing out on a whole bass speaker Gratulin! Let alone another 2 mids..
I love you passion to get the right sound! but you can go out and get 7.1 speakers for around $70 and they have all been plug and play for years. I can't remeber the last time I ever heard 'stereo' let alone needed to do work arounds.

Or am I totally missing something here?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 02:29:37 PM »
The issue here is that AC only supports stereo "properly" so far. It's not a fault of the hardware. Someone on the AC forums complained that 7.1 wasn't working properly, and they said "let us get 5.1 working first!"

I don't know where I'd put another two speakers.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 02:39:45 PM »
Really don't mean to be 'that guy' But I thought 5.1 died in the late 80s? let alone quadrophonic?? you are missing out on a whole bass speaker Gratulin! Let alone another 2 mids..
I love you passion to get the right sound! but you can go out and get 7.1 speakers for around $70 and they have all been plug and play for years. I can't remeber the last time I ever heard 'stereo' let alone needed to do work arounds.

Or am I totally missing something here?
Ha ha! Do I still listen to LPs as well?

I am after directional sound not better quality sound. Wally is correct. The quality of sound will dramatically improve (we hope) with the new sound subsystem. In the meantime I just want to hear cars coming up behind me and be able to tell which side they are on before I see them AND hear which tire is squealing to help with finding the limit and with threshold braking. So sound quality doesn't really matter at the moment just directional sound. Quadrophonic just happens to be the setting name used in Windows Sound control panel :)

BTW you do lose directional information with a subwoofer particularly a cheap computer speaker system since you cannot control the crossover frequency. Too much midrange can be sent to the sub in some cases. By defining just 4 speakers you can ensure only back left sounds come from the back left speaker etc etc.

EDIT: just read Wally's comment. While I agree with the 5.1/7.1 comments I am trying to point out that the 4.0 speaker support in AC is actually already excellent.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 02:43:18 PM by Gratulin »

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 02:39:51 PM »
The issue here is that AC only supports stereo "properly" so far. It's not a fault of the hardware. Someone on the AC forums complained that 7.1 wasn't working properly, and they said "let us get 5.1 working first!"

Everyone is putting them deep under floorboards these days. Or directly under the lounge.

But you're right. I have enough trouble ducking and weaving around my speakers that are positioned at head height.

I didn't notice AC sound not working. So if it's not 5.1 signal then you are using magic Gratulin!!!

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 02:47:11 PM »

Everyone is putting them deep under floorboards these days. Or directly under the lounge.

But you're right. I have enough trouble ducking and weaving around my speakers that are positioned at head height.

I didn't notice AC sound not working. So if it's not 5.1 signal then you are using magic Gratulin!!!
Dick, if you can already hear rear tires and cars from the rear left and right then all is working. If not then just plug in four speaker inputs (ie disconnect centre and sub) and set Windows to quadraphonic. You will hear the rear sounds.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 01:02:51 PM »
5.1 not working in RC1. AC Support is currently looking into it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal