Xtreme Gaming Network

Computer upgrades..

Author Topic: Computer upgrades..  (Read 62791 times)

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: Computer upgrades..
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2014, 12:03:04 PM »
Just messing with ya Bird!
They are nice cards. Bit under the curve but still acceptable. I'm surprised at their retail price actually.
  Alas, GPU's are last on the shopping list as mine is still just ok... only just.
MB, CPU and RAM is what I need the most...
But I got a few other things on the list 1st. need a new rear bike tyre which is $400 bucks. Bastards!

Regarding your bike wheel I think your too much of a fanboy to the kitty brand. Even saying that this bike is $415 including the bike basket and both wheels.

http://www.fishpond.com.au/Toys/Hello-Kitty-8108-60TJ-Girls-Bike-50cm-BlackPinkWhite-Hello-Kitty/9999929980952?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=ps&utm_campaign=AU&gclid=CIXG2Oud9sACFdclvQodz2QAbg

Regarding retail price of old computer hardware, good luck to anyone stuck with new stock 670's if you can get a 970 around that price if not cheaper. Being in retail for computer parts is a mugs game, anything you have when the next gen comes out is pretty much useless and quite likely would be dumped at cost or below.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2014, 12:23:15 PM »
erm....a 970 retails above $450, the brand pieces over $500.
There's still a good gap.

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2014, 12:42:04 PM »
Just messing with ya Bird!
They are nice cards. Bit under the curve but still acceptable. I'm surprised at their retail price actually.
  Alas, GPU's are last on the shopping list as mine is still just ok... only just.
MB, CPU and RAM is what I need the most...
But I got a few other things on the list 1st. need a new rear bike tyre which is $400 bucks. Bastards!

Regarding your bike wheel I think your too much of a fanboy to the kitty brand. Even saying that this bike is $415 including the bike basket and both wheels.

http://www.fishpond.com.au/Toys/Hello-Kitty-8108-60TJ-Girls-Bike-50cm-BlackPinkWhite-Hello-Kitty/9999929980952?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=ps&utm_campaign=AU&gclid=CIXG2Oud9sACFdclvQodz2QAbg

*adds to cart.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2014, 07:58:13 PM »
Got the new beauties in.   Same settings as before gives me ~160 fps at castle hill, except one short part of the track where it drops to ~90.

These guys are the beast :D

If anyone wants me to do some comparative benchmarking, ask me, I may even do it :)

btw, I've run a round of the Unigine heaven, maxed out.  I did this before and it started off with around 5-6fps, now around 10-12.
I'm not saying the performance is double, everywhere, but it's certainly very impressive.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2014, 08:04:36 PM »
Got the new beauties in.   Same settings as before gives me ~160 fps at castle hill, except one short part of the track where it drops to ~90.

These guys are the beast :D

If anyone wants me to do some comparative benchmarking, ask me, I may even do it :)

btw, I've run a round of the Unigine heaven, maxed out.  I did this before and it started off with around 5-6fps, now around 10-12.
I'm not saying the performance is double, everywhere, but it's certainly very impressive.

What did you get in the end, Bird?
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2014, 08:07:15 PM »

Ah, 2 of these: 
MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

I think you can even o/c them a bit to gain an extra few %...

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2014, 08:12:48 PM »

Ah, 2 of these: 

........... Bastard! :) You don't even need 2 of them!! and you want to OC?

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2014, 08:18:26 PM »

Ah, 2 of these: 

........... Bastard! :) You don't even need 2 of them!! and you want to OC?

I do need two of them.  I run 3 screens, and going to one card from two would be a bit of a step backwards.
I don't really want to o/c, just read an article where they said if you o/c these (specifically these) they stand up very well against other factory oc models, even tho the starting point is much lower.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2014, 08:37:35 PM »

Ah, 2 of these: 

Nice! On the leading edge.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline insomniac

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2014, 12:34:53 AM »
I found CPU to to be the major limiting factor..

I run a i5-4670? non K at stock, a slightly OCed GTX670 and 16GB DDR3, AC is on my SSD and I have everything maxxed except for smoke, reflections and mirrors and get a constant capped 101fps. This sometimes dips to around 60 with multiple cars and smoke on the track. Only running a single monitor @ 1920x1200 though.

I would get around 60fps with my old Q9550 @ 3.55Ghz.. and the same GTX670 and ram... go figure.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2014, 08:51:46 AM »
Only running a single monitor @ 1920x1200 though.
That's the important bit :) 
Altho it still is amazingly good.

Out of interest, do you also have the faces per frame maxed out?  (and the rest of the things on that tab?)
Also full screen 8xAA, and 16x anisotropic filtering?
Are these set to be app controlled in the nV panel? (The nv control panel can override any of these!)

(btw being on an SSD makes no difference in FPS, it only affects loading/saving times, when the disk is accessed)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 08:55:51 AM by Bird »

Offline insomniac

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2014, 08:31:07 PM »
Nope faces per frame is 1 I think... reflections don't bother me so I have turned them and mirrors right down, along with smoke. 8xAA and 16xAF yes and application controlled in nvcp.

Yeh I find loading times are awesome with it on the SSD compared to hdd.

Rolz

« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2014, 02:56:23 PM »
yeah I have 2x NVidia GTX670 2GB - I'm on hold upgrading my PC until I see what the DV2 Rift looks like... when I get it and when it works with AC  ::)

So far I'm pretty happy with my setup, it dropped to about 50fps on a full Tues night race on the start or 1st corner... I have most of the eye candy turned down 3x Samsung 24" @5760x1080 - the rest of the time it's easy in the 90-100fps

i7 3770K @4.2GHz
2x8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1866MHz

Though my room gets pretty warm... winter was sweet sitting in shorts and singlet, but with summer coming the fiance is gong to get annoyed if I'm going to be racing and have the AC cranked  :P

Rolz  ;D

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2014, 06:31:01 PM »

- I'm on hold upgrading my PC until I see what the DV2 Rift looks like... when I get it and when it works with AC  ::)
I realise you need to check it out yourself but I have the DK2 and it is still not good enough to replace a proper triple setup. Resolution and clarity still not there yet. Great fun to play with though!

Rolz

« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2014, 07:19:20 PM »
I realise you need to check it out yourself but I have the DK2 and it is still not good enough to replace a proper triple setup. Resolution and clarity still not there yet. Great fun to play with though!

I'm after the immersion primarily... if I were to get motion sickness then it would be an even better bonus  :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal