Xtreme Gaming Network

H-Shifter Speed Boost

Author Topic: H-Shifter Speed Boost  (Read 26127 times)

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: H-Shifter Speed Boost
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2014, 07:17:43 PM »
You have to blip yourself with paddles.  Unless you turn auto-blip on.

Just gave the H shifter a go.  Yesterday I spent a lot of time on Marty's server with the E30 DTM and Silverstone National and fluked a lap that I was never able to get close to again.  I would have been a couple of tenths off at my best on every other try.  That was my PB and a record in RSR.

Anyway, using the H shifter just then I beat it by almost half a second... on a couple occasions and in only 15 minutes of trying.  And that's me without hardly any practice using shifter and certainly not getting the most out of it.

One thing I did notice is that using the H shifter the car was a lot smoother into corners and didn't want to step out as much.  I found it better under brakes in terms of handling.

Anyway, time to ice the knee!  But at least I have one record on RSR for now with the shifter!

BTW it was more fun with the shifter... I wish I was able to use one regularly.

The server did have reduced grips levels and no ABS, I didnt bother running RSR on the server with grip at 96%. You quite likely ran laps with optimum grip and ABS which would make quite a difference along with the shifter.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2014, 07:33:23 PM »
You have to blip yourself with paddles.  Unless you turn auto-blip on.

Just gave the H shifter a go.  Yesterday I spent a lot of time on Marty's server with the E30 DTM and Silverstone National and fluked a lap that I was never able to get close to again.  I would have been a couple of tenths off at my best on every other try.  That was my PB and a record in RSR.

Anyway, using the H shifter just then I beat it by almost half a second... on a couple occasions and in only 15 minutes of trying.  And that's me without hardly any practice using shifter and certainly not getting the most out of it.

One thing I did notice is that using the H shifter the car was a lot smoother into corners and didn't want to step out as much.  I found it better under brakes in terms of handling.

Anyway, time to ice the knee!  But at least I have one record on RSR for now with the shifter!

BTW it was more fun with the shifter... I wish I was able to use one regularly.

The server did have reduced grips levels and no ABS, I didnt bother running RSR on the server with grip at 96%. You quite likely ran laps with optimum grip and ABS which would make quite a difference along with the shifter.

Does the E30 DTM have ABS standard?  I'm not sure what my settings are, I think it's just factory - it would have been the same last night whatever it is.  96% grip would explain why the car kept sliding out.  I might try later with just the paddle shifters and see what the difference is.

Most of the time I noticed was made up on the straights though when looking at my PB Delta.  This could have been grip coming out of corners I guess.

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2014, 08:09:14 PM »
Well, with paddles in same settings and setup as before I'm again 0.4 to half a second off what I could do with the shifter.  There is absolutely no doubt I was losing the time on the straights.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2014, 08:59:13 PM »
Just we need... a faster Guybrush :)
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2014, 09:49:05 PM »
Well i'm converted!
  Just raced for about an hour using the stinking H-shifter. Loved it. awesome fun. Felt a lot more in control. I'm using it all the time now. Clutch no worries. Right foot braking needs a bit of practice but the Exige has ABS so that is forgiving atm. Didn't break a gear-box on the practice server.
 Put down a 1:46.711  240R Stage3

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2014, 09:50:18 PM »
Just we need... a faster Guybrush :)

Yep and there were a few of us in the practice server, I noticed Guy keep knocking his time down on RSR in a private session.  ;D I got into the 44's but think he will be in the 43's soon.

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2014, 10:51:46 PM »
Took a second off my PB from yesterday with the H shifter.

My recommendation...  Use a H shifter

Offline insomniac

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2014, 02:57:39 PM »
Hasn't this been confirmed by the devs? Sure I read it.

Offline gawaterman

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2014, 06:52:58 PM »
Wonder if this might be quicker for the aliens, but for the average joe, averaged over 10-20 laps, with a few mis-shifts throw in, the old paddles still might be quicker?

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2014, 07:54:38 PM »
Wonder if this might be quicker for the aliens, but for the average joe, averaged over 10-20 laps, with a few mis-shifts throw in, the old paddles still might be quicker?

I think it effects some cars differently and there is definatly more chance of error so if there is a slight gain it may make up for that. Also the gain will onky be for guys that are good with a shifter, I still always use the shifter as its more fun and a bit more of a challenge. Im more glad its not a real disadvantage to paddlers in manual cars, if it encourages more "aliens" to drive the more challenging and enjoyable way then its good for them. I dont think its all about being the fastest more about immersion but really I think we need 100% damage also to encourage people to shift in a more realistic way. With damage off you really dont need any car on shifts but with it one you also need to be smoother and cleaner on all shifts to avoid damage to engine and gearbox.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2014, 09:01:55 PM »
Well, I got down to a mid-44 at spa now, (no shifter) altho I've used a bit too much curb to be RsR-clean, but it was good for a friends' leaderboard lap :)
I reckon a 44 is quite doable if you nail the red corner.  If you mess that up, though, then it's an uphill battle.  I can easily lose .5 there, anytime.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2014, 10:38:55 PM »
Just came across hlthis post by Aris in the official forums

Quote from: Aristotelis, post: 65197, member: 1
If you use paddles on an H-shift manual car, the gearchange is slower than what you could achieved with a totally manual H-Shifter.

If you use autoclutch and blip on a car with a sequential box like the Z4 GT3, the clutch engages just a tiny bit slower than without the assists.

I did get into 43's at spa in the Cobra but noticed my teml was up as I tried the career mode earlier amd it must have chamged my temps. Silly as in the server it says temp 26c but still in RSR shows 30c so will need to try some laps tomorrow back to 26c. Hopefully one day the server will be able to control track temps as some cars temps couod have a second or more effect on lap times way more then using a shifter or not.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal