Xtreme Gaming Network

Gaming SSD Myths, what you should know....

Author Topic: Gaming SSD Myths, what you should know....  (Read 10029 times)

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Gaming SSD Myths, what you should know....
« on: June 07, 2014, 07:56:13 AM »
So recently I have been hearing some chatter that a ssd is a must for gaming and can reduce fps stutters,  well I'm a huge fan of ssd's and run my OS on one, have done so since there introduction, but also run a good old fashion hdd for gaming content. It makes sense to me, when I turn on my system I want it to boot as quickly as possible and I want windows sitting on something fast. So a 60 gig ssd fits perfectly,  although now prices have come down considerably would change my OS ssd to a 120 gig, but I will still keep fighting the fight and keep windows on a diet.

So enough of my drible and onto a article that compares directly swap in swap out of hdd to ssd with real gaming results.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 03:32:06 PM by Glen73 »

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming SSD Myths, what you should know....
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 08:35:12 AM »
No time to read it right now, but I expect there'll be little difference if any.  I'll read it later to see if I've guessed right :)

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 08:44:34 AM »
I just skipped to the conclusion and it confirms my thoughts, no difference in game play.
I just use it for the load times. ;D
(it really helps with Nordschleiffe ;))

2+2=√16

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 11:00:34 AM »
I just skipped to the conclusion and it confirms my thoughts, no difference in game play.
I just use it for the load times. ;D
(it really helps with Nordschleiffe ;) )
Yeah, just what I would have thought.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Brit

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Administrator
  • Pommy Killing Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 12:17:52 PM »
interesting... but i can confirm time between maps is much better in BF4 with the SSD option. thats the only difference i can see and its enough to make me want my games on SSD :D

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 01:12:49 PM »
interesting... but i can confirm time between maps is much better in BF4 with the SSD option. thats the only difference i can see and its enough to make me want my games on SSD :D

And I could easily justify to buy one for that reason alone as well :D but the reason I posted this up was to show it makes no difference at all to gaming performance once the map/track is loaded and you shouldn't think your game will improve FPS or run a lot smoother because you have your games on a SSD.

If I was building something new from scratch then a Samsung 840 250G Evo SSD would probably go in  ;D

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 01:34:13 PM »
Thanks, guys, for the executive summary, that's what I thought.

I'd put in a 1TB Samsung 840 to be honest.  I still may, just for the fun of it :) 
Nah, actually the 256GB is plenty.  Especially paired with a 2TB SSHD.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 08:15:57 PM »
Good test and write-up.  Thanks.

I'm not sure how many people are under the impression that an SSD will make actual gaming performance better?  Perhaps if there is a lack of RAM?

I upgraded to an SSD purely because of the decrease in loading times.  In games like Rise of Flight they can take a number of minutes to load on a HDD, but with an SSD this is cut down to around 15 to 20 seconds.  This alone makes an SSD a must for someone like me who plays sims and hates waiting :)

Offline Brit

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Administrator
  • Pommy Killing Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 02:46:01 PM »
funny thing just happened in BF4, public servers now have a spawn delay to give everyone the chance to get in the server before starting... negates the people who bought SSD's for better load times... i used be able to nick a couple of control points before some players even got in... alas no more in this game title!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal